Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mirrors

Fox and Al

I’ve been writing an assignment on Equine Assisted Psychotherapy for one of my papers and a common thread through them all is the fact that a horse is a mirror. If you approach a horse in way that is angry, fearful or disrespectful, the horse will immediately let you know by his body language that he knows how you are feeling. Even if you try and hide it, he knows. He may turn away, eat, or a number of other things that show he’s not interested in knowing you.

Where is this going? It is how I was feeling and how Fox was reacting. Whenever I went into his paddock even if I would be feeling great, there would be an underlying current of anxiety, some days fear and towards the end, anger. Of course he didn’t want to be around me.

I have been so busy for the last few months with study and renovating the house that Fox has come last place. But for the last few weeks I have been making a conscious effort to spend time with him. There is no pressure, just hanging out. Every day, when I step out of my car I make my mind clear. Today is a new day, a fresh start. And it’s working. I’m calm and happy to be there and Fox is calm and happy for me to be there.

I’ve only been able to ride about once a week but I think that has been beneficial too. I like spending time with Fox so I’ve had to think of other things to do but ride. Some days I just sit in Fox’s paddock and watch him and his paddock mate Al. Other days I just groom him. I’m starting to feel the connection we had when he first arrived.

It’s wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment