Friday, January 15, 2010

Bonding and Sunscreen

Fox isn’t getting ridden again, his back is a bit sore and there are some slide marks in the paddock which has been a bit of a slippery mess. So instead of riding, I have taken the opportunity to do a bit of bonding. I sit and eat in his paddock. Fox comes and grazes beside me. It is very relaxing and peaceful until the sand flies find out where I am. I have also been finding his itchy spots. I spent ten minutes the other day giving him a good old wither scratch which he showed his appreciation by trying to groom me! Not the most comfortable experience! He’s also been getting his back massaged every day. I am hoping that he will come right so I can go for a quick ride this weekend.

I’ve been using clicker training to get Fox to let me put sunscreen on his nose. It is slowly working though I’m having to use more pressure than perhaps I should. It’s something that needs doing so I’ve got to get it done. What is most noticeable to me is how much less fear and frustration I feel using this method. Before, I would have got angry with Fox’s non compliance and frightened when Fox got all big. This way there is no fear, and just laughter at his antics. This alone is a great feeling plus the added bonus that the sunscreen actually goes on Fox’s nose as opposed to on me or the ground.

Unexpected bills mean I haven’t been able to get the physio out again for the saddle fitting and check over. Fox’s legs are still a conundrum. They are up and down, up and down. They seem to be best on cool mornings so I am going to start cold hosing again. I stopped as it didn’t seem to be doing anything and it doesn’t actually help lymphatic congestion but if there is a correlation between cool and no swelling then maybe it’s worth a go. He’ll also get his Back on Track boots on again now that all his chafing has cleared up. They have taken an absolute hammering, the little hole in the boot that happened on Guy Fawkes has spread despite me taping it. Lucking it is only on bit where the Velcro straps fasten too. There are also holes on the inside of each boot where Fox must rub together when he walks.

What I’m really wanting to find out is his long term prognosis. What impact will this have on his legs? To me, they look the same as they did before the injury. He is perfectly sound, tracking up well and more than happy to have a hoon in his paddock. The next step may have to be an ultrasound which may or may not tell me anything. This involves convincing my partner that the expense is necessary. In emergencies, he is ok with forking out money but this isn’t really an emergency situation and may in fact be totally useless. This combined with his DJD may mean he might only be suitable for hacking. No serious schooling and no jumping. I’m not sure how I feel about that at the moment. At the moment I just want to ride for longer than 20 minutes and go faster than a walk.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with Fox! It's terrible to own a horse that no matter what you do, you can't seem to get healthy/sound enough to ride for even a few minutes. I understand how you feel.

    I think I blogged about my mare's issues a while back. If not, I have a book to write. She became unridable, so I had to buy another horse, luckily we could afford it. But now she's living the high life of retirement in a pasture with her pet goat.

    I really hope that doesn't happen to you and Fox, and I hope you get to ride this weekend.

    ReplyDelete